Sunday, September 02, 2012

Art Therapy for Broads Abroad :: Siesta Dreaming :: Exercise #12

No, really, I'm listening.
:: Effective listeners remember that 'words have no meaning - people have meaning.'  The assignment of meaning to a term is an internal process; meaning comes from inside us.  And although our experiences, knowledge and attitudes differ, we often misinterpret each others' messages while under the illusion that a common understanding has been achieved :: - Larry Baker


This week was filled with many words and many sounds.  I heard the strength as well as the anxiety of my New Orleans friends through their status updates as Hurricane Isaac roared closer and closer.  I heard encouragement as Team Rokit soothed me back into non-smoking mode.  I heard myself described as someone I didn't recognize, and heard myself perseverating on those words, wondering if I understood their intent correctly. 

Today, I took a rest from listening.  That's a huge struggle for a professional listener, and quiet is not a word that exist in my Mexico.  Yet, Saturdays in Merida, during siesta, if one takes full advantage, it is possible to cocoon, and spoon if you have a lover, into the folds of a hammock.

Today's Secret Message of Love : 
Make a space to rest.

Siesta Dreaming © News From A Broad

Materials:
  • You
  • A comfortable bed, hammock, sofa, or reclining chair.
  • A drawstring bag, large enough to accommodate a bottle of wine.
  • A cup of various herbs. See Process below.
  • Pen or pencil.
  • A beautiful journal.
Process:
  • There are many websites that offer herbal blends for sleeping pillows.  This list is best for stress reduction:  a 1/4 c rose petals, a 1/4 c lavender flowers, a 1/4 c of rosemary, and a 1/4 c of peppermint or spearmint leaves.
  • If you can't find these already dry, select fresh herbs for drying from your garden or local grocery.  You will need at least two bundles of each herb.
  • Fresh herbs from the grocer come tied in a bundle.  Place each bundle, upside down, into individual paper sacks.  Secure the papered stems to a hanger, and place in a dark closet.  Your herbs should be dry between 4-7 days depending upon climate.
  • Remove the leaves and flowers from their stems.
  • Place the herbs inside the drawstring bag and secure.
Options:
  • If you prefer non-synthetic fabric, make a drawstring bag from a well worn piece of cloth, such as a tea towel.
  • Embroider a word on the drawstring bag that invokes a sense of peace.
Conclusions:
You deserve to set time aside to rejuvenate.  Listening to your inner voice is easier when you feel calm and rested.  Use the Broad Dream Notes as a guide for processing any sounds and images that accompanied your rest.

Create the life you want!
The Broad
Pin It Now!

4 comments:

Merilee Dodson said...

You are so right. Before I was forced to leave work due to my diagnosis, I never realized how much being a professional listener had impacted me. Having time to rest and re-evaluate my path has been a very rough but needed skull drag to enlightenment.Love the sleep pillow recipe, I'm going to make one today.

The Broad said...

Send a picture Merilee! Would love to see some of the projects. Love hearing that this project hold power for you! Hugs

lynette said...

I used to make sleep pillows for friends from old handkerchiefs. Sometimes when I'm completely stressed, but have work to do, I sit and look out the window with a bottle of peppermint essential oil. It calms me and gives me energy to continue. I prefer the hammock (or featherbed for the moment) life, but whatever the circumstances, the scent of herbs makes just about everything better.

The Broad said...

I couldn't agree more. I have one that my daughter made when she was a Girl Scout, It is at least 10 years old and still smells amazing! xx