Sunday, September 09, 2012

Art Therapy for Broads Abroad : Dance Party : Exercise #13

:: Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire.::
- George Bernard Shaw
:: Almost nobody dances sober, unless they are insane.:: 
- H.P. Lovecraft






When I lived in Austin, I had a couple of goals - two stepping across Texas, and finding the best jerky in the state.  Every Thursday night I would head to The Broken Spoke, the oldest dance hall in Austin, and one of the places to introduce the world to a new style of music, Texas rock-a-billy.  

While I was searching for a small ranch in West Texas, I headed towards London, home to another famous dance hall.  With only 180 full time residents, this hamlet swells to twice its' size on Saturday nights.  Cowboys and hunters from neighboring communities, mark the small of your back with the palm of their hand, and offer an easy glide around a crowded dance floor.   

Though the Double Blind didn't land in London, there was dancing.  Along the winding ridge top above the creek, the open fields were covered in tall grasses interspersed with wildflowers that clutched small patches of barren ground like the first anger of a child.  My tires turned the creek bed into a quacking shatter, sending a hundred miniature yellow butterflies into a drunken blur.  Encouraged by their molestation of the prairie verbena, the butterflies were liberated, and swooned into a provocative dance against a wide sky.   

The compilation CD I played while crossing the hundreds of acres between the highway and my ranch gate began with Jollie Holland's Mexico City, and ended with Curt Massey singing the theme song from Petticoat Junction.  When the day came to return to my city life, I left as late in the evening as possible, and pulled away listening to the slow sweet voice of my friend, Nathan Hamilton.

Entrance to The Double Blind © Jessi T Walsh
Driving headlong into night
The only thing 

that I can see
Is a light rain falling in my headlights
The black wet road rolling under me
It tore my guts 

to hear you cry
It hurt my heart 

as well to see
The look of love that left your eyes
As you turned your face away from me 




Today's Secret Message of Love :
Make some noise with your fee!

Dance Party © News From A Broad

Materials :

    • Music
    • Mirror
    • Motivation
    • Movement
    Process:  
    • Turn that stereo system up full blast.
    • Dance until you can't dance anymore!  
    Options:
    • Create a compilation of music that makes you feel fully alive and filled with joy!
    • Create a compilation of music that reflects the life you are living now! 
    Conclusions:
    It's awfully difficult to be down in the dumps when you are watching yourself jump around to the beats that make you smile. Celebrate the joy of you!  Use the Broad Dream Notes as a guide for processing what you saw in the mirror!

    Create the life you want!
    The Broad

    Pin It Now!

    2 comments:

    Merilee Dodson said...

    Your turn to be called "Mind reader"! I recently incorperated this into my morning work out and all day long I am humming the tunes I use-It is awesome and such a mood lift.

    The Broad said...

    Glad it works for you Mer!