Monday, April 22, 2013

The Starving Artist : Bravo Tapas Bread Pudding with Chocolate and Cherry Sauce

The History of Spanish Tapas
:: The tapa was born when, due to an illness, the Spanish king Alfonso the 10th, the Wise, had to take small bites of food with some wine between meals. Once recovered from the disease, the wise king decreed that no wine was to be served in any of the inns in the land of Castile , unless accompanied by something to eat. This was a wise precaution to counteract the adverse effects of alcohol on those people who, through lack of money to buy a nourishing meal drank alcohol on an empty stomach. ::  

or something like that....
¡Bienvenido!

Sometimes you just have to sit down with a #2 pencil and start from scratch.  Going through the News From A Broad post a trend emerged.  I'm so excited to introduce you to my new approach to cooking in Mexico!  I'm even more excited that the bread pudding recipe served at Bravo Tapas is the star for this new series, The Starving Artist.  As a child, one of the simpler deserts Mamère prepared was bread pudding.  I have to be honest, I didn't really enjoy it very much as I'm not a big fan of raisins.  In fact, most of the time I was sneaking bites to our dog, Popcorn.  I have had a conversion and I have to say that this bread pudding recipe, so generously shared by Javier Bolaños, owner of Bravo Tapas, is my new favorite dessert.  Seriously, how can anyone resist chocolate, cherries and wine!  ¡Buen Provecho, Amigos!

Bravo Tapas : Bread Pudding with Chocolate and Cherry Sauce
Servings :9

Ingredients for the Pudding

  • 1 tsp of vanilla
  • 1 c whole milk
  • 1/2 c of half and half
  • 3 whole eggs
  • 1 c dried or fresh cherries, diced 
  • 1/3 cup grated chocolate
  • 1 loaf of French Bread 
  • 1 c light brown sugar 
  • 1/4 c unsalted butter, melted
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).  After beating the eggs, add the brown sugar, media crema (half and half), milk and vanilla.  I added a touch of cinnamon which was not called for in the Bravo Tapas recipe.  Tear your loaf of French Bread into small pieces, toss into the egg mixture, coating well and set aside.  Allow to soak for 20 minutes, tossing the bread occasionally.  It will smell a bit yeasty, but not to worry.

Ingredients for the Sauce   
NOTE: Bravo Tapas makes this sauce using their red wine sangria.  This is an improvisation that I think turned out very well.
  • 1 c of light brown sugar
  • 1/4 c of port wine (I used Riunite's Lambrusco )
  • 1/4 c of Granada juice (Pomegranate) 
For the port, I used what I had on hand, a bottle of Riunite's Lambrusco, generously donated by my good friends, Ari and Numa when I prepared Coq Au Vin for a few friends.  For the sauce, put all the ingredients into a sauce pan.  On low, allow the sugar to melt, stirring during the entire process.  When the mixture comes to a boil, turn off the heat and allow the sauce to cool under a covered lid.  

Grease an 8' x 8' pan with a bit of the melted butter.   Add the grated chocolate, diced cherries and remaining butter to the bread mixture, mixing well.  Pour into the greased pan and bake for 40 minutes or until the top springs back when tapped.  Allow to cool, cut and top with vanilla ice cream, drizzling the wine reduction sauce. 

Bravo, Ya'll!
Grab a couple of forks, serve and remember - TAPAS ARE FOR SHARING!

To learn more about Bravo Tapas and the Bolaños family, click here!

Create the life you want!
The Broad




Pin It Now!

7 comments:

Babs said...

Woo hoo, this could cause me to throw my diet aside prior to my trip back NOB. Can't imagine where I could find cherries around here and believe it or not, they JUST started carrying half and half at Mega a few weeks ago!
SURE looks good.......

The Broad said...

Super yummy! Barbra, I've become accustom to media crema, which is half and half, before I found the familiar real deal here. One of our grocery stores, Superama, carries dried cherries and fresh cherries when in season. Hope that helps you in SMA. Enjoy!

Merilee Dodson said...

Sounds fab, I love any kind of reduced sauce. Gonna have to try this one, but will sub the sugar with stevia. 8x8? If this is a yummy as it sounds that won't be nearly large enough lol!

Chad said...

Looks delish!!! And I could not agree more that Bravo Tapas is a great addition to the restaurant scene in Mérida!

The Broad said...

Bravo Tapas Bread Pudding is the BEST! Now, to figure out how to make their bacon wrapped stuffed dates...heaven.

laura johnson said...

Great to see you. This is where you have been:)

The Broad said...

Hi, Laura! So glad you found me!