Friday, October 12, 2012

I'm Starving :: Bringing Nawlins' flavor to Mérida

:: But during all these years I had a vague but persistent desire to return to New Orleans. I never forgot New Orleans. And when we were in tropical places and places of those flowers and trees that grow in Louisiana, I would think of it acutely and I would feel for my home the only glimmer of desire I felt for anything outside my endless pursuit of art.::
- Anne Rice

Many years ago, early in my career as a therapist, I worked on a unit for clients who had in one way or another sustained a traumatic head injury.  Katherine was one of my youngest clients.  She happened to be from South Louisiana and our relationship was truly good for both of us.  The hospital nutritionist was extremely concerned about Katherine's significant weight loss and asked me to address it with her in our sessions.  Well, I knew what was wrong without asking.  Katherine was missing her mama's cooking!  With permission from her parents and the hospital, Katherine and I started having her sessions at my house.  We made turkey gumbo just after Thanksgiving.  In January, for Epiphany, we baked a King Cake.  With her favorite recipes from her "momma and dem", we had ourselves a good time in the kitchen!

When I arrived in my little fishing village in August 2011, I weighed 150 lbs. and had three sets of clothes.  I packed my car so well that I didn't have room for clothes!  By early November I returned to Austin to grab as many articles of clothing from my storage unit that would fit into two suitcases.  By the end of November I gave most of those away as they no longer fit.  When I went back to Austin in July I went shopping for new clothes.  In less than a year I went from a size 12 to a 6.  

It wasn't my intention to lose 35 lbs..  Between reducing my stress level, initial difficulty finding suitable products to substitute for brands I was accustom to using back home, and adjusting to cooking for one person in my tiny casita kitchen, it happened that I lost a whole other self!  Eating out has mostly been a wonderful experience, but I'm not crazy about going to restaurants solo, and sometimes I just want a taste of home.  To remedy my situation I decided to start cooking right!

Meddling with A Good Thing 
Shrimp Remoulade a la Benné
(adaption of a family favorite from  Ye Old College Inn

Ingredients 
1 head of Romain lettuce 
1 c halved cherry tomatoes 
2 lemons, quartered into wedges
1 lb of large shelled uncooked Gulf shrimp
2 c farfalle (bow tie pasta)
2 t capers
½ c diced red onion

2 T olive oil
1 T Cajun seasoning

Bring water, enough to cover the pasta and shrimp, to a boil.  Add olive oil.  Just before the pasta reaches al dente, add Cajun seasoning and shrimp.  Cook 3-5 minutes, strain and cool in the refrigerator.  Ya'll want to retain the seasoning so don't rinse the pasta and shrimp.

Remoulade Sauce
1 c creamy Cesar Dressing
3 T ketchup
2 T stone ground mustard
2 t Worcestershire sauce
1 T horseradish

Whisk all the ingredients together and set aside.  In a large pasta bowl or on a platter arrange the shredded Romain lettuce.  Add the pasta and shrimp,  drizzle Remoulade sauce on top and garnish with capers, chopped red onion and cherry tomatoes.  Place lemon wedges on the side for each guest.  Serves 4.

Bon Appetit, Dawlins'!

Create the life you want!
The Broad
 
Pin It Now!

4 comments:

Merilee Dodson said...

Awesome, hang out your shingle and see what happens!

The Broad said...

I've got ideas Mer, BIG IDEAS!

Babs said...

Made me crave fresh shrimp.......I've got the River Road recipe cookbook here plus Soul Food cookbook if you ever need anything.

I had red beans and rice recently and could eat that with cornbread any and every day of the week.

But, alas, today was turkey salad. YUK.

The Broad said...

Babs, I wish you lived across the street! I brought the Brennan's Cookbook and Talk About Good. Maybe my sister has River Road. HEY SIS, that would be a great Christmas present! Send your favorite out of Soul Food! I made two stuffed artichokes this week. Nibbled on one the whole week and the other is in the freezer. AND, lucky me, some friends from Louisiana brought two cans of Trappey's Okra so I'll have gumbo soon.